12/9/10

Meeting Date: 
Thu, 12/09/2010
Start and End Time: 
6 pm - 9 pm
Personnel Present: 
Alan
Personnel Present: 
Chris
Personnel Present: 
Heidi
Personnel Present: 
Karl
Tasks This Meeting: 

Try and build a new hand mount since our last one sucks

 

Reflections For This Meeting: 

Sometimes it is faster to build something in CAD and sometimes - like today- it is faster to try things in real life first and put it into CAD later

Yes, the new hand looks like it should work, but the way we tried to mount it onto the arm didn't seem to adjust easy enough. It is time for some new ideas. Instead of making it spin on plastic pieces, I had the idea that we make it move left and right and front and back on shafts.

I started to design it in CAD, but found it was faster to build it in real life first to make sure the concept works. Chris and I put the ideas together and think it will do what we want it to do.

We want to use a piece that is the same size as the current hand mount so that we don't have to change the length of the arm pieces. It is too bad that we have to keep making new 1x channel pieces, but that is what everything will be based on for this. 

The shafts are the wrong length, but the mounting here in this photo are the right idea - and it will also be able to hold our current hand.

It looks like it will slide back and forth very well. Although we didn't exect to use LEGO tubes for spacers, they work very well for this.

We also built the left right slider out of LEGO. Sometimes, LEGO parts can be used in unexpectant ways and this turned out to be one of those. 


It looks like this will work well in this position with the existing arm that we have.