10/17/10

Meeting Date: 
Sun, 10/17/2010
Start and End Time: 
12:30 - 8:00 pm
Personnel Present: 
Alan
Personnel Present: 
Alejandro
Personnel Present: 
Gavin
Personnel Present: 
Heidi
Personnel Present: 
Karl
Tasks This Meeting: 

Rebuilding the wheel base to stop bending shafts

Wire the pedometers for use on the arm and stance works 

Build flex wheel with CAD

Reflections For This Meeting: 

We went through several different versions of the wheel base, and assembled the arm.

 

Today we worked on rebuilding the robot's wheel base, and installing the first version of the arm.  We changed the wheel from all four on each side being fixed, to it being two sets on each side with suspension so the wheels had a freer range of movement, which will be helpful in going over the mountain.  We continued working on the arm, and installed two motors do drive both directions of movement.  We needed a working robot for the Auburn Community Festival the next day, so we built a quick "pincher" to put on the end of the arm.

Karl looking over the almost completed robot.

Gavin writing a letter to send to send to the local engineering companies.

Al working on the robot in PTC.

Karl and Al putting together the bottom of the arm.

Taking apart the wheel base to rebuilld a few pieces.

Karl and Al changing a few pieces on each side of the wheel base.

Gavin working on soldering the prototype board.

Karl and Al rebuilding the wheel base skeleton for the robot.

Holding up the finished pieces.

Gavin continuing to solder the prototype board.

Gavin finished part of the soldering.

Karl preparing to attach the wheels to the wheel base.

Al holding up a few custom pieces.

A new idea for the wheel system.

Gavin working on the next part of the soldering for the prototype board.

Karl marking for cuts on a channel.

Gavin working on the prototype board.

Karl preparing to attach wheels to chassis base.

Gavin holding up his progress.

Karl and Al working on attaching the wheels to the wheel base.

The first side of the wheel base.

Karl working on the wheel base.

Karl and Al assembling the new and improved wheel base.

The team going about their various tasks.

Karl checking a detail with CAD.

One of the sides of the wheel base in CAD.

Gavin cutting out a sheet of paper to use as templates for the plastic springs.

A CAD drawing showing the folds and wholes necessary to create the plastic springs.

Karl assembling the wheel base.

Karl testing the suspension and checking spacing to make sure the robot fits within 18 inches.

Karl putting on the plastic suspension.

The finished product, showing the plastic spring.

Another angle, showing the other side of the plastic spring.  We used washers on the screws so the plastic had a smaller chance of cracking due to the small amount of surface area the screws have on the plastic.

Karl testing both plastic springs.

Putting the other motor mount on, and testing the spring on the wheel base.

Testing it going over an obsticle, we seem to have great success with the articulating wheels.